Adam says we "over-do" birthdays. I kinda have to agree. Especially when the birthday is on a weeknight. See, you can't not do anything on the kid's actual birthday. So I made Adalin's choice of spaghetti for dinner and we sang to her. Then, we have family nearby, so we do a birthday dinner and cake/ice cream/gift opening thing with my parents and siblings. And, the kids have friends too. What about them? So, we typically also allow them to have a birthday party with their friends. Is that such a bad thing? 3 birthday celebrations for one kid in one year? Hmm. I know, it's a dilemma.
Here's the terribly, ridiculously spoiled 7 year-old on... uh, sorry, trying to remember which of the 167 birthday parties it was... oh, yea, the friend-one, where 8 little girls partied and spent the night together.
She chose a Wizard of Oz theme, which was fun. I made the cake (it was my first and somewhat successful attempt at fondant.) The girls watched the movie after they made up all their beds on the floor of our (newly finished and carpeted!!) basement.
At 7 years old, Adalin:
is doing very well at school and is in the top tier for spelling, reading and math
loves to read and do crafty things
loves to shop for clothes and shoes
is very close with her sisters and loves to play with them
has many good friends at both school and church
is going to need some major orthodontic work
like mom, loves buffalo chicken dip and guacamole
like dad, hates seafood and ranch
is excelling wonderfully at piano and loves to play

2 comments:
Love the cake! Great job! I don't think that's overdoing it at all... we have both a family party and a friends party for Amerah... and if neither of those is on her birthday I see no problem making her favorite dinner and singing happy birthday! The year before last I filled her room with balloons while she slept so that she couldn't even get out of bed. Unfortunately, my kid's a bit of a party pooper and complained about the balloons so I didn't do that again this year. They're only kids for a short time, go for it.
That cake is awesome! Good job! I also just did my first fondant with Keturah's cake. I'm going to post about it soon.
Post a Comment