Saturday, October 13, 2007

At the end of my rope

That's where I have been today. It all started today when, as I was getting the girls dressed upstairs to go to The Red Barn Festival, Yukon found an ink pen. I come downstairs and found him ON MY NEW COUCH chewing it to pieces. I spent the next hour cleaning the ink off my couch cushion. First I used soap and water, a joke. The furniture people said to always start with soap and water on microfiber... Ok, so then I did the aerosol hairspray thing. Some came out. Because of this stunt, I now have a crunchy couch cushion. Then I got out the denatured alcohol. (This is supposed to be the best stuff to get junk out of microfiber.) Well, most of the ink came out. But most isn't good enough. You can still see spots where the ink was really concentrated. I am not a violent person but I really wanted to hurt that dog. So I go to Red Barn, walk around the square twice because I don't want to come home to my ruined couch... I bought a few things to calm my anger. That felt good. I come home to a shredded blanket and batting all over the living room rug. OK, calmness is the key here. So it was just my old comforter from high school, but I DON"T CARE! Unless its a dog toy, don't chew it you idiots! I get Kira's pringle-looking can of baby cereal out of my purse and the lid had fallen off and they spill all over the place. I go through the trouble of making fresh tomatillo salsa for dinner and it's too spicy. I guess I added a few too many peppers. It's still edible over things, I guess. I go to Walmart to get a few food items and A LOT of dog bones, come home and the inner seal on the gallon of OJ that I bought is broken. Now I have to take that back. Who wants to take back orange juice to the store? I did try it anyway thinking maybe I won't have to return it... it tastes funny. I probably would have decided not to take it back if it didn't taste weird. Waiting in their customer service line will be fun. It has just been an Alexander day, I guess. Now the things I have learned from today... Some days are just terrible, horrible, no good, very bad. Every once and a while days like these are OK. Days like these teach me patience. I have analyzed myself multiple times today and have realized that I have progressed from being very angry to quite humbled. At first, I was just livid. My blood was close to boiling temperature. I wanted to get rid of Yukon. I kept thinking that he is just more trouble than he's worth. Then I was just mad. I was mad at him more than anything and no longer angry at everything around me. Then I went into quiet mode. The anger departed and I felt like just being alone. This finally led to a self-realization that I handled things very poorly. I wasn't patient at all. I didn't act like Christ would have acted. I was rude to Adam and Adalin as I was sponging off the cpuch cushion. I almost didn't want all of it to come out just so that I would be justified for being so angry, ornery and rude. By the end of the day I felt very humbled and realized that I have a lot of work to do. I think of how Adam's mom (who I really admire for her sweet tone of voice and patience) would have handled it. She would have just sternly told Yukon that that was bad, and would have gotten to work without the anger. She would have just realized that some things are just out of her control and that she needs to just take what has been handed to her. Why, in the heat of the moment, can't I be level-headed? Sometimes I do wonderfully. Most of the time I don't. This is something that I have been really trying to work on. I have plenty of opportunities to do so too. I was almost brought to tears many times throughout the day. This series incidents were really just the icing on the cake. The past two weeks have been a nightmare. I have hardly seen Adam at all. We both rush in and out of the house so quickly that we don't even know what to do with ourselves. I am failing at my calling in Young Women's. I am in charge of our ward's portion of the stake relief society enrichment thing this Saturday and have tons to do with that (on gardening). I don't prepare as much as I should for my primary calling. I have 2 positions in SAA, two dogs, a cat, a medical student as a husband, two kids, weight to loose, muddy floors, a backyard FULL of acorns and leaves, dirty dishes in my sink, ink on my couch cushion, laundry to fold... I could go on and on. But is it really all that bad? I need to just make it through the next week and it will be much better.



Since I am trying to look on the bright side of things, at least they have learned to share the purple chair.

7 comments:

Pattie said...

PLEASE PLEASE CALL ME..I can help you.. okay i came by yesterday to see if you wanted to walk down to the red bard with me. i peeked in the window and saw the mess the dogs left i felt bad for you..I appreciate your post what a great lesson you have shared with me. I can totally understand..

Ashley said...

So what does it say about my character if my blood boils just READING your story :) I'm sorry, I hate those days. But I am jealous you got to go to the Red Barn Festival--you'll have to post about the treasures you bought.

rebecca said...

I'm sorry about your terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day!!! I remember some of those days in Kirksville when I wouldn't see Keith, the house would be a mess and everything went wrong. Just remember you are and awesome person and everything doesn't have to be perfect. Just do what you can. And next year(or even 8th quarter for that matter) really will be better, at least in having a husband around to lighten the load :) Good luck to you :) I wish I could've been at Red Barn, too. That was always my favorite time of year in the 'ville' :)

mgallen729 said...

Baby girl, Let me just say that I feel your pain. Unfortunately you may have learned the anger/stress response thing from me. Sorry, Miss-Lissa I have never been very good at handling stress although I have to say that I have gotrten better over the years. I think I have learned to pick my battles more wisely and I have realized that the anger and stress I create just isn't worth it. I am seeking for more calm, peace and joy and you will get there too. Don't be too hard on yourself. I am so glad that you were able to later see the sunshine after the storm. I love you my darling. You are an amazing mother, wife, daughter, sister and friend. Remember too that the Lord told us that it would not be easy here but that it would be worth it. I have to remind myself of this when I am in the throws of chaos and stress. Hey--- we signed up for this and it is but a moment.

Unknown said...

Whew!! What a day!! I was glad you came to the red barn festival, it was fun to see you. I hope you get all of the ink out of the cushions.

TerriLyn said...

Melissa, your cute mom is right. Don't be so hard on yourself. I know what you mean about stress and patience. Every morning and every night I pray to learn patience! It's a hard thing. I'm sorry Saturday was such a crazy day for you. I wish I knew. Here's my bit of frustration. Tabitha always throws up in the car when we drive to Nauvoo. When we went in August she threw up like 3 times!! I was soooooooo tired of cleaning up throwup. Then yesterday on our way home she did a real good one. I'm slowly learning patience. Please call me whenever you need a friend or some help with anything. Love ya!

valerie said...

I hate bad days like this. Life can seem so hard sometimes. Patience is something I lack and pray for all the time. I'm glad that each day is a new day and I can start over and try again.

Related Posts with Thumbnails