Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Church Ball at its Finest

Adam got an elbow to the face playing church ball a few Wednesday nights ago. He came home and said, "I need your help" after only being gone 45 minutes (which is unusual). I looked at his eyelid, split open and bleeding and said, "uh, ok..." He hands me some dermabond (skin superglue) and gives me instructions.

OK, blood and cuts I am OK with. But I was nervous and shaking for some reason. I think it was mostly because I felt bad for Adam. It looked painful. I was about to open the glue when I said, "lets just call someone to help out a little." He didn't object, so I called a neighbor that lives 3 houses down who is an intern at the hospital and in our ward, but they didn't answer. So I called another neighbor, who is also in our ward and almost done with his ER residency. I felt bad calling him. He and his wife have very busy callings in our church and they have 5 boys... they are busy. And it was 10 pm. He came down to our house and said it needed to be stitched up instead of glued b/c it was only a few millimeters above his eyelashes. He personally took Adam into the ER and gave him some stitches! It was one of the nicest things somebody has ever done for us. When I called for some assistance dermabonding, I really didn't expect such a huge favor. It was a blessing.

Here is our friend Brian taking the stitches out. Adam is all healed up now!


2 comments:

Crystal said...

Oh my word! Glad his eye didn't pop out or anything bad like that. That actually happend to a kid at my school playing during a game and got poked in the eye and it popped out!!! Sick I know! That is nice to know medical people!

Maren said...

Adam, I am truly sorry that, unfortunately, several of us "medical people" just kept right on playing and sent you home to have your wife take care of you. I hope you can forgive us for our dismal inability to serve another player in his time of need.

Related Posts with Thumbnails