Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Lucy, the Basenji

People walk into my house and see two small dogs that look like "a cross between a pig and a fox" and wonder, "Why this breed?"

Adam's Aunt Rosemary bred basenjis back in the day. From his aunt, Adam's family first got Mali, a red and white female basenji. Then along came Kido, the Franson's second basenji, who was black and white. Mali and Kido had puppies, one of which was Lucy, a black and white female, who was placed in a home as a young pup that wasn't able to keep her. Adam's family took Lucy back and kept her as their own. So, Adam grew up with, not one, not two, but three crazy basenjis.

I have grown to love these little dogs. When Adam and I wanted to get a dog of our own, I fought for a basenji. Mali, Kido and Lucy were an integral part in Adam's childhood. I heard too many stories about these African dogs not to want one for myself. Now I have two.

Driving around Farmington (we did that a lot when we were there), we wondered if Lucy was still alive, so we decided to stop by the family's house that Adam's parents gave her to after they retired and moved out of state. They were home and, what do you know, Lucy was there! (A little overwieght and slow-moving, but still there!) I almost cried, actually meeting one of the Franson's basenjis! I can't tell you how many stories I have heard about this dog. Meeting her was so special.


1 comment:

Leah said...

holy cow! she must be getting old now!

Related Posts with Thumbnails