Tuesday, April 28, 2009

A Trip Back to Kirksville

Adam had to go to Kirksville last week for a test and I told him that we were coming too. We had a great trip back to the 'ville. We stayed with some great friends, the Jensons, and got to see so many others: the Wards, Nugents, Mr. Flammer, Miss Heino, Schuermanns, Petersons, Haas, TCC folk, Meg Sorhus, Ruth and Anngel (very briefly), Lofleys, Powells...

I had a chance to do some reflecting while driving around my old little town. I really didn't realize how much I grew while I lived there. I acquired a new puppy (Yukon), had a baby, bought my first house, sold my first house, met and kept so many great friends, learned how to be a good neighbor and better friend, learned the value of serving others, how to be independent, what being a single mom would feel like, how to support a medical student, how to grieve for a worn-out medical student, how to tend strawberries, planted my first vegetable garden, found my first slug, had a bat, bunny and mouse in my house (all on different occasions), painted my first house, had my first robbery (our camera was jsut stolen out of our car), learned the art of quilting, decoupage and bow-making, organized a community 5/10K...

This is where the first 2 years of our medical school journey took place. Overall, I think pleasant thoughts when I think of living in Kirksville, as long as I don't delve too much into my memory bank... It was hard. I have talked about how challenging medical school is before. I have said that other programs are also hard for many people, but I can't believe that anything is more difficult for a student than medical school. Some come close or may even equal the demand. We made it through though. The bookwork and exams were brutal. We survived. I really don't know how! As with many things in life, we often forget how hard things really were, how much pain we endured. I think back and often don't think it wasn't that bad. But then I dig deeper and remember the emotions of loneliness and grief that I felt so often then and I wish to never remember them again! All I can say is that I am glad its over!

As for our trip:

We were only about 1 hour away from Kirksville when we stopped to stretch our legs. The girls wanted to sit in the trunk and thought that it was so funny.

We had a chance to visit Meg, Indi's breeder. She showed us her miniature Jersey calf that was only a week old! She also worked with Indi a little bit, preparing him for the conformation ring. I got some great tips and pointers.


Here she is! This is our old house!


Our great friend, Elina, who we were so lucky to see a few times when we were in town. She lives in PA and was in town as well for her testing. I love this picture.


Kira at the beach throwing rocks. She has an obsession with rocks.


The Point Shelter. We had many a BBQ here when we lived in Kirksville.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails