Thursday, February 21, 2008

A Good Daddy

Here's my Dad and Mom with my girlies.


I was sneaking chocolate chips out of my baking cupboard this morning. There are not many things better than chocolate in the morning before breakfast. I was walking around with the chips in my palm and they began to melt. This little event prompted a childhood memory of mine to resurface. The human mind is amazing. I haven't thought about this childhood memory for a long time, but it is still in there! I thought that I would write it down before I forget it for good.
When I was little, my Dad and Mom managed a storage facility in Allen Park, MI. So that is where I grew up! The houses that are usually above or next to a storage facility's office are the manager's housing. I spent my days until I was 11 at Stop N' Lock on Enterprise Drive. I have fond memories of this place, from rollerblading endlessly around the property, building snow forts on top of 10 foot snow piles created from the snow plows plowing the isles, watching fireworks on the roof, my German Shepherd, Edgy, who we raised from a puppy and was the guard dog of the place. He would pull me on my roller blades, it was fun.
There was a candy machine in the office with M & M's in it. I acquired a quarter, put it in the machine and got my M & M's. I ate all but one light brown peanut M & M (back when there were light brown ones). My dad had been outside for a long time painting a building, so I thought that it would be nice to bring him a candy. I held it in my hand, clenched, all the way over to where he stored his painting supplies. I opened my hand to reveal a mostly-melted M & M. He looked at me like, "Hmmm, I guess you want me to eat that." He did. That's a good dad. He knew not eating it would have hurt my feelings... Love you Dad.

3 comments:

The Posse said...

The question is... would you do the same for your kids? That's a very good dad... lol.

Unknown said...

How sweet, what a fun memory.

DeAnne said...

Ahhhh . . . so sweet. What a cute story.

Related Posts with Thumbnails