Ok, very weird picture, but hear me out!
This was taken the night before the annual ATSU-TCC garage sale in June of this year. I always meant to blog about it but never got around to it. Adam and I signed up for a parking spot to sell our junk along with all the other students moving from Kirksville during the summer. We had most things gathered in a corner of our garage, ready to ship over to the TCC (the school gym) parking lot. We thought we should go downstairs in our "Missouri basement" to see if there was anything we wanted to ditch before the move.
It had been raining off and on for 2 or 3 weeks, the ground was very moist and so was our basement. This is about the same time that all the towns flooded up and down the Mississippi River. We also got a lot of those thunderstorms, but thankfully no flooding (Kirksville did flood a few weeks after we moved though.) To our surprise all the furniture and stuff we had down there had mold infesting every nook and cranny. Great! So we hauled the coffee and end table, the papisan chair, the baby swing and car seat, dog kennels and TV stand upstairs and outside to our back deck (which I miss.) I got 2 huge bowls of bleach water prepared and we washed and hosed everything off. That's when the thunder hit. "Oh crap," we thought as we hurried to finished up the last of the mold-eliminating. Too late. It began to hail, then very large rain drops fell from the sky accompanied by thunder, lightening and the whole shebang.
We rushed to move the previously bleached and mold-free stuff into the garage to dry overnight, in an effort to not get too soaked through. Too late.
We were soaked completely. This was an excellent reason to do something that really needed to be done... scrub the dirt off the deck with a deck brush. What!? The deck was already wet, meaning we wouldn't have to hose it down and worry about it drying in the hot sun some other afternoon when we got around to scrubbing it. So that's just what we did. Scrubbed the deck. We got the hose out again to rinse the deck after scrubbing it and had a ton of fun squirting each other at full force.
My point in telling you about our mold and deck scrubbing at 11pm is that it felt really good to do something that we wouldn't normally do. The first 2 years of med school we rarely did anything out of the ordinary or even fun. Too busy, always late, stressed, tired. This was fun though. You see in movies every now and then of people playing in the rain, laughing, spinning around in circles with their arms outstretched, palms up to the sky. This really happens! It is fun to go out of your comfort zone and do something crazy, something unexpected. It felt good to play with my husband with a hose and a scrub brush and laugh as we did a chore we were both dreading. I really am thankful for this experience for it brought out in me some qualities that are so distant to me now. I have grown to be a little boring as of late, not wanting to get my hair wet when swimming or avoiding the high diving boards. What is that about? That's not me! I hope that there are many more times to come like the one we had this night. It really made us a happier couple to act a little crazy, together. I think that always will be the case.
7 comments:
Cool story guys! I'm longing for something like that!
That is hilarious. I'm glad that you guys were able to kick back and enjoy eachother. And that picture reminds me of a funny/interesting conversation we once had.lol
I recall you going off a high diving board rather recently. By the way, those IM's killed me yesterday - thanks for being my Jeeves :)
That is awsome! Rain can be a blessing in so many ways. :) -M
We miss you guys. Thanks for sharing. We have a had few more of those times after years one and two, but they slow down again in residency. Sad I know. It also reminded me of chicken fights at the lake.You need to send me those pics.
Just caught up on the blog ... good story here! I love doing random, fun things like that.
Hearts!
haha.. sounds like fun. I need some fun in my life too... I always say later I'll have fun when this or that is over. We should all have fun NOW!
I do have to say you both look naked though.. or maybe you were??
Post a Comment