Many people in Kirksville that read my blog have already sampled or made this soup, but it is blog-worthy and therefore I am posting it. I got this recipe from my mom who got it from someone in her church who made it for a chili cook-off one fall. It won and has since won an SAA cooking club and another chili cook-off in Fenton, MI. It is a great recipe! It is a fairly inexpensive meal too. So for all of you that haven't tried it, here it is:
Cheesy White Chicken Chili
Saute in 5 qt. sauce pan until onions are soft and translucent:
1 T. extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves (or more) garlic
Add and saute for 1 minute:
2 cans diced green chilies
2 t. cumin
1 t. oregano
1/2 t. red pepper
Then add:
5 c. chicken broth
3 chicken breasts, cooked, chopped
3 cans white beans aka. Great Northern Beans, drained
Simmer for at least 10 minutes on med high heat.
Then add 16 oz. Mexican blend cheese slowly, stirring constantly until all cheese is well incorporated. You can add sour cream and/or cream cheese to soup, but I think that it is good w/o it.
Serve with homemade wheat rolls.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Serves 4-6
Note: For you Kirksville people... don't use regular grated HyVee cheddar cheese in this. It doesn't melt very well and the cheese sticks to the chicken chunks and gets all globby. It was a mess when I used it. Use finely grated Kraft Mexican blend cheese or any combo of cheddar, Monterrey Jack, Cheddar Jack, etc. **Finely grated, and preferably Walmart or Kraft brand. Not mozzarella, too stringy when melted.
Adiana maturing
9 years ago
6 comments:
WE ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS DISH! Thank you very much for introducing us to this one, kitchen queen!
Hey Melissa, have you ever used less cheese... like maybe just 8 oz. of cheese instead of 16? I was thinking about trying it, as I figure I would lose 80 pounds if I cut more cheese out of my diet :) Do you think that's a bad idea?
I think it would still be great with 8 oz. of cheese! I was thinking last time I made it that the recipe does call for A LOT of cheese that probably isn't all needed! You could always serve it pipin' hot with cheese on the side, for those who don't need to watch their cheese intake, like us.
K, well this is one of our staple foods, and I will let you know how it turns out!
I just recently tried this and LOVED it!!! Yummo!!
This is the best recipe!!! We totally love it!!!!
Post a Comment