Adam grew up on them. My sweet mother-in-law would make pancake after pancake some mornings for Adam and his brother Nathan. 30 Swedish Pancakes later, they would finally be full and probably a little sick too.
Swedish pancakes are very thin and crepe-like. Batter is mixed in a blender and poured into a hot skillet, swirled around until the pancake is large and thin, cooked to a light brown. Then you butter them, sprinkle powdered or granulated sugar, roll them up, and cut into bites. When Adam was little, he would butter and sugar the inside then sprinkle more sugar on top. Not healthy! They are so much of a tradition in the Franson family that they are made for breakfast at least once whenever any of the Fransons get together.
Adam has been sick the last few days and didn't feel his stomach could handle Fajitas, so he requested Swedish pancakes. OK... I always feel a little bit inadequate when I make these b/c I don't make them enough, so every time I do it again, the first one sticks to the pan & the batter is a little too thin. So I have to add more four, and I don't swirl them quite fast enough. By #2 or #3 I get the hang of it. I have to say I don't really enjoy making them sometimes b/c Adam has eaten thousands of these and I never feel like mine are quite the same as his mother's were. I am sure they are, but you know, Jeanine is the best at them.
Adalin LOVED them! Anything with straight sugar on it Adalin loves. She was acting like a sour puss when Ad first rolled her mini Swedish pancake up. She said she wanted something on it. Little did she know of the sweetness contained therein. They do look plain from the outside... but once she took the first bite, she was hooked! She ate 3.
I had mine with cinnamon and sugar inside. I tried to get Adam to try one like this. OK, so he is oneof the most stubborn people I know. He would not hear of preparing one any other way than the way he has for the last 20 years, butter and powdered sugar. I did get him to take one bite of mine, he said it was good, but just not the way they should be. I guess tradition is tradition.
Here's the recipe:
Swedish Pancakes
Heat your best non-stick skillet on stovetop on med-high heat.
Put in Blender:
2 1/2 c. milk
5 eggs
2 1/4 c. flour ( the recipe calls for 2 c. but I think I added about 1/4 c. extra tonight, so try this, maybe a little more?)
1/4 t. salt
2 T. butter
You may use cooking spray, but they are better if you don't and just use a good non-stick pan.
Pour enough batter to cover a little less than 1/2 of the pan, immediately tip the pan to swirl batter around to make a round, even pancake (good luck), until pancake is thin. Flip. Allow to slightly brown. Serve hot with butter and powdered sugar or any other toppings/fillings you would like (but sugar is the proper way ;) ). Roll up and cut into slices.
Adiana maturing
9 years ago
2 comments:
yumm i will have to try it.
I LOVE THESE!!! Great post! I love that they can only be eaten with butter and powdered sugar. I'll remember that :)
Post a Comment