Sunday, December 9, 2007

The Reindeer Romp and The Aftermath

Last Saturday, December 1st, Adam and I ran the Reindeer Romp here in town. It was miserable. There was an ice storm the night before, so everything was covered in ice. It was still raining, freezing and pretty much just the worst weather you could ask for for a race day. I wasn't planning on running b/c I had a church commitment that morning, but that got cancelled b/c of the bad weather. The race was still on, so I decided to just get out there and run. Adam and I quickly got a babysitter and off we went. I began to have 2nd thoughts as soon as I tried to make it down my porch steps and into the car w/o slipping and falling on the ice. I would have stopped there if it wasn't for my hubby saying, "Common' Meliss, you'll be fine, you won't fall!" He's right, I didn't fall once. We made it to the start and off we went. I only ran the 1 1/2 miler, Ad did the 4 mile race. It actually wasn't all that bad as we were running. My shoes got soaked through. I was running in my own private puddles hidden inside my sneakers. My pants were wet up to the knee. My sweatshirt was wet too, mostly my arms and shoulders, and my mittens were covered in snot. I didn't have the heart to blow a snot rocket or two during the race b/c there were always runners near me and really no where to go off to the side since all but one little path was not icy. So I used my mittens. Yuck. I finished and went inside the venue to the fireplace to wait for Adam. That was actually the only race that I have ever ran besides the Moab half marathon. Adam came in as the overall fastest runner over 200 lbs.! That was exciting. Good job Ad! That night I ran again to kind of punish myself for eating too much for dinner, and b/c DeAnne wanted to get out of the house and go to the TCC. I felt great after my long nap that afternoon, so I went. I ran another mile and a half...
The next day I began to feel a little feverish and my head started to hurt. Monday, I was just plain sick. Fever, sore throat, headache. Miserable. It took a week to get over too. Then Adam got the exact same thing. We don't know if we got sick from running in the freezing rain or not, but my guess is that that had something to do with it. Eh, it was a good little workout anyway.

2 comments:

Pattie said...

WOW--Way to go-- you defiently deserve something yummy..I am impressed now i know who to call to get me in shape..

Unknown said...

YOU AMAZING WOMAN!! I'm really impressed you ran it with the weather like it was. It was freezing!! I'm so sorry you got sick after it all. Good job Adam!

Related Posts with Thumbnails