Tuesday, November 13, 2007

"When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece."

John Ruskin said that. It has provoked thought today as I have read it over and over on my google sidebar. I have thought all day about my grandparents in Georgia. Well, my Grandma passed away just days after Kira was born, my grandpa lives on. They were/are both skilled people. My grandfather is a woodworker. He has made many great pieces for me and my family. His love and skill have combined to make true masterpieces. They mean the world to me. My grandma was a wonderful woman who gave of all that she had to those she loved until the day she died. She helped me make my scripture bag. It a simple bag, but to me it is one of the things I have that mean the most to me. Her hands touched it, her voice instructed me how to stitch it. She laughed a lot that day it was made. My mom, both sisters and I were all down in her sewing room making the bags of our dreams and my Grandie was in heaven with us all there. When Adalin was born, she made at least 15 custom burp cloths, 2 silkie blankets, 5 flannel blankets and many more items and sent them all in a box for us to use and enjoy. An ordinary burp rag isn't anything special, but she made these using her talents and with SO much love. They mean a lot to me. They are masterpieces.
She was so happy when Kira was born. My girls were her only great grandchildren. She was so proud to be a great grandmother, SO PROUD. In just the few days before she died, she carried a picture of my two girls around in her work apron, showing everyone that would look and telling everyone who would listen about her new g-baby. I wish that she could have been able to hold Kira and see Adalin again. She only saw Adalin once when she was 4 months old. It had been too long. Why didn't we come from Utah to see her again? I wish we would have. She had a 11x14 picture of Adalin in her "happy room," a room where she would go and watch TV, write emails or read. We visited Georgia after her death and seeing that picture and others of my girls and our little family really touched my heart. She loved us so much. How grateful I am to know that I will see her again.

1 comment:

Ruth Harper Gough said...

Oh Melissa, tears are rolling down my cheeks while I read this. Thank you for sharing. I think I'll go call my grandma.

Related Posts with Thumbnails